Wear the fox hat...

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Please sir….. may I have some more!

‘Please sir….. may I have some more!’ ….a famous line from Oliver Twist!...probably made more famous by the movie…but none the less, from Charles Dickens’ pen. Just one small observation I’d like to comment on….. Charles Dickens was obviously not living in an age of Tesco Metro and Waitrose Canary Wharf! This place is full of food! It’s all easy to prepare and relatively cheap! There’s a Sainsbury’s on just about every corner and if that’s too hard to get to, the streets are full of trucks delivering online shopping orders!

The English have obviously come a long way since the days of ‘gruel’ and stale bread…and more recently ‘beans on toast’! If you are looking to buy shares and you are struggling to find an industry that’s flourishing…..‘look at me’…I’ve got one word for you ….PACKAGING! You can’t even buy a banana that hasn’t undergone some sort of packaging! Archaeologists in 200 years time are going to come across towns and cities build on massive pits of plastic landfill!

As Dean has said a few times…..he’ll never starve if I went on holidays (cool – where do I book!). It’s a ‘non-cookers’ dream here. The prepackaged food is many and varied…and much to my surprise, it taste’s pretty good! The quality has improved three-fold since I was here five years ago. Feel like Chicken Casserole? No worries – 30 mins in the oven and it’s done without even lifting a knife…..except to cut the 3rd layer of plastic packaging off! Our Furi knives have been busy!

Last night on the menu (bought in about 10 mins from Waitrose and prepared in about 5 mins and cooked for 1/2hr).

Soup: Carrot & parsnip with sweet potato, ginger and garlic (8.5/10 – would struggle to make it better myself…£1.80. Came in a plastic tub)

Main: Beef Lasagne topped with creamy bechamel and grated Grana Padano cheese, served with a pre-packed herb salad of green oak leaf collorosso, roquette, coriander, flat leaf parsley and chervil!...topped off with pre-packed white cup mushrooms grown on the Waitrose farm in Leckford, Hampshire and pre-packed British Cherry (vine ripened – that’s all you can get here….bugger!..;-) tomatoes and Brue valley vintage cheddar ‘hand made on the farm’……that’s your standard coon cheese! (8/10 – wouldn’t make this myself and I’m now game enough to eat pre-packed lasagne….it’s 10 times better than the ‘hospital grade’ packs at home. £7 and we have leftovers for lunch)

Dessert: nil……we couldn’t be bothered carrying it home….oh to have a car in the car park!

All this and we own a small saucepan and a frypan….and our three treasured Furi knives brought all the way from Australia…..to open packaging!

Who said the English have closed minds to food and only eat beans with bacon & beans with bangers’n’mash & beans with scotch eggs!...Mmmmmm – I think that was me?! Woops – things have changed!...and much to my surprise I’m the one saying…’Please sir…..may I have some more!’…London is a foodie’s paradise!

By
Ingrid "I love being a foodie" Robertson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home