Wear the fox hat...

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

No 11 Cannon St

Yippee – we’re here in such a wonderful place – I’d forgotten just how good London can be! Looking back on the last 2 times I’ve been here I’ve seen more of London in the last 3 weeks than I did in 12 months! It’s not for trying – it’s been more of a case of stumbling across things! Although yesterday we did the touristy thing and spent the day on an open top double Decker bus….following ‘red’ and ‘blue’ routes to see the ‘must see’ parts of London. We did it with our good friends Dan and Kristy…also new to London. Why I didn’t do this the first time I came to London I don’t know!

Even though a relaxing bus trip with someone else tackling the crazy London traffic is a great way to sight-see, I get more satisfaction out of just happening to ‘find’ things!. On my first day in London, Dean had started his course in Chertsey and I was tasked with finding the ITG office, introducing myself as ‘Dean’s wife’ and getting started on online accommodation hunting. After catching my first Tube in from Barrons Court with Jen, emerging from the depths of the Underground I found myself on Cannon St – ‘this is pretty good!... I know London’! ITG was on Cannon St……number 11 Cannon St! So off I trekked. Though on a mission, I managed to take a few diversions along the way – up Bow St to get a coffee and in to Boots….just because I needed a Boots fix….and I was early – I didn’t want to arrive too soon! Even though it was just an office to use internet and the phone – I felt like I was starting a new job! Half of me didn’t want to be late and the other half was thinking they don’t even know I’m coming – I’ll go shopping in the House of Fraser I just passed instead! Freezing, yet focused (I had a coffee in my hand)…I continued down Cannon Street, looking for No. 11. Once at 25 Cannon St my coffee was cold, my toes were numb and I yearned to be inside!....it was freezing! I wasn’t dressed for such cold weather – all our warm stuff was sitting in suitcases at Heathrow cargo terminal waiting to be cleared! 11 Cannon St was not far now……after passing 25 Cannon St I found an old church-yard looking place….with an even bigger place next to it. Surely ITG didn’t have their offices here. Across the road was No. 10 Cannon St – a massive palatial looking officer tower….reconfirming that ITG was in the right area for business…..no. 11 must be just passed this old church. So off I traipsed…..looking for nothing but number 11 Cannon St!.......but came to a junction after the church and the end of Cannon St! I walked back passed the old church – thinking maybe that church building was No. 11 – perhaps it’s been ‘converted’ to offices. The English love conversions! Looking for a number, I found a sign on the side of the building ’St Paul’s Churchyard’….no number! Mmmmmm….could this be THE St Pauls Cathedral?.....ITG had managed to snap up some amazing office space if they were in there! I’d never been to St Pauls before – I think I saw it in the dark the night before Princess Diana’s funeral, but this was the first time I’d really ‘seen’ it. Wow – I’m in London and I’m traipsing around St Paul’s looking for ITG! It’s amazing to stumble across something so old and historical……this is where…….?????????
Obviously I didn’t check the address of the ITG office – I just had it in my mind that it was 11 Cannon St!....I had no doubts about it – this was the address. As it turns out, ITG are located at 78 Cannon St…on Level 11! Way back at Boots! I’m so glad I went looking for number 11 Cannon St though – seeing St Pauls was a great start to my London adventure! Mind you…I didn’t go in – they were charging £8!! That’s …ah…AUD21……oh my ‘god’........

Ingrid "Got my A-Z now" Robertson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home