Poker and TimTams bowl over Aussie's loss in 3rd Test!
On 29 August 05 we headed to Sarah and Mac’s place for a leisurely afternoon BBQ…..not only to celebrate the fact that it was remotely warm and sunny in London – but also to cheer on the Aussies in the 3rd Ashes Test. Earlier in the day it looked like we were going to lose…..but we made a comeback…and all of a sudden the music vol went down and the TV was turned up.
We ‘gave up’ the sunny deck to come inside and support our much loved cricketers! (Though only after 3 bottles of wine and a gourmet BBQ feast). Sarah Jen and I were on the edge of our seats waiting for the Aussies to bowl out England in the final innings. Naturally we provided loads of very valuable, quality, advice for Ricky!....if only he listened! You could feel the tension in the room……
Dean and Mac were also feeling the pain….but I think it was the girls taking brunt of it for the team. To cut a short story short….we lost! But all the losers out there – it seems we now have a strategy to raise spirits…and I’m not talking about 'more beer'….I’m talking about a good ole' fashion ‘Card Night’!
Mac just happened to pull out his World Class Standard Poker Set….complete with chips and green felt! You all know how much I love a game – I was jumping out of my seat!! My brief moment of Cricket Depression was bowled out the window!!! Sarah’s uncanny collection of hats then came out…..and a few cigars later, we were well and truly into a game of our very own ‘Late Night Poker’.
The night ended with a rare packet of Tim Tams (sent with love all the way from Em & Stevil in Oz) being delicately nibbled on each corner and ‘bombed’ to perfection with a cup of sobering coffee!
So there you have it….a perfect Aussie BBQ…..in down town ‘Norff London’! One could say that only thing that was missing was a game of French Cricket in the backyard and the lingering smell of Aeroguard!...but one would be wrong! Thanks to Sarah (friend from the Gold Coast from way back, who I thankfully could stay with when I first came to London in 1997!) and her now fiancé Mac (a South African who is has just been granted an Aussie visa and moving to Brisbane soon) for such a fantastic afternoon…..and night!
For photos of all the action - click here....... http://ing.smugmug.com/gallery/836373
We ‘gave up’ the sunny deck to come inside and support our much loved cricketers! (Though only after 3 bottles of wine and a gourmet BBQ feast). Sarah Jen and I were on the edge of our seats waiting for the Aussies to bowl out England in the final innings. Naturally we provided loads of very valuable, quality, advice for Ricky!....if only he listened! You could feel the tension in the room……
Dean and Mac were also feeling the pain….but I think it was the girls taking brunt of it for the team. To cut a short story short….we lost! But all the losers out there – it seems we now have a strategy to raise spirits…and I’m not talking about 'more beer'….I’m talking about a good ole' fashion ‘Card Night’!
Mac just happened to pull out his World Class Standard Poker Set….complete with chips and green felt! You all know how much I love a game – I was jumping out of my seat!! My brief moment of Cricket Depression was bowled out the window!!! Sarah’s uncanny collection of hats then came out…..and a few cigars later, we were well and truly into a game of our very own ‘Late Night Poker’.
The night ended with a rare packet of Tim Tams (sent with love all the way from Em & Stevil in Oz) being delicately nibbled on each corner and ‘bombed’ to perfection with a cup of sobering coffee!
So there you have it….a perfect Aussie BBQ…..in down town ‘Norff London’! One could say that only thing that was missing was a game of French Cricket in the backyard and the lingering smell of Aeroguard!...but one would be wrong! Thanks to Sarah (friend from the Gold Coast from way back, who I thankfully could stay with when I first came to London in 1997!) and her now fiancé Mac (a South African who is has just been granted an Aussie visa and moving to Brisbane soon) for such a fantastic afternoon…..and night!
For photos of all the action - click here....... http://ing.smugmug.com/gallery/836373

1 Comments:
At 2:37 PM,
Badger said…
Joystiq lands in Japan
Thirteen-some hours spent in flight plus an hour on a bus and what's the first thing to come out of my bags? The laptop and camera, of course! Which is all just to say: watch this space because we'll be ...
Hi, I'm new at Blogging and websites and found you! Like your Blog. If you're interested, go see my small business hosting related site. Just in the creating stage and I'm still working on it but you may still find something of interest.
Post a Comment
<< Home